Sunday, September 24, 2006

Im Going to be Such a Smirt..


From April next year, the Welsh Assembly (Mickey Mouse Welsh government who can't cough without asking Whitehall) have decided in their wisdom to ban smoking in "enclosed spaces". So no smoking inside pubs, clubs, restaraunts, hospitals, etc.

Healthy I suppose but when you're having a drink, a ciggy goes with it - the drunker you get the more you smoke - or is that just me? I use it as a screen - if my mate goes off and Im stood on my own, I light up, gives me something to do and I feel less of a dork.

Dublin, Ireland did it last year and on the radio they interviewed an Irish journalist who said having to go outside for a smoke has brought along a new term...

SMIRTING

Picture the scene - you're in a pub, you want a ciggy so you go outside, without your drink of course cos drinking outsides been banned. You join the huddle of evil, nicotine-addicted pubgoers and convesation starts - and you flirt with the hot guy puffing next to you. Hence you are smoking and flirting - or smirting...

Its even in wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smirting

Now I was hoping to be completely smoke free by next April but I dunno - I want to be a smirt..

3 comments:

Mr. Gin and Tonic said...

If smoking is banned, you could always take up chewing tobacco...

Lisa said...

yeah, cos that's really attractive...

Anonymous said...

Smirt-- everytime I read that word I think it says "smut"...