Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Charity May Begin at Home but Where Does it End?

A young kid just knocked my door. Kooky looking pre teen with bunches in her hair and a wide smile. She held out an envelope.

" Do you want to give a donation to leprosy?"

I looked dubiously at the envelope - did she want skin maybe or a spare limb I had lying around.....

But no, as I already knew as Bethan is participating, she wanted cold hard cash for a sponsored "Get Fit" thingy the school is running to raise money for a leprosy charity.

This is in addition to the many non school uniform days they have with a payment for charity. Comic relief, Sport relief, Jeans for genes, Children in need - the list is endless. Why did I pay the extortionate prices for their monogrammed school uniform when they never seem to wear the bloody things?

Don't get me wrong, I am a donator to charity. I give regular sums to my chosen charities. I even sponsor an agrophobic collie dog called Sam......

I have blogged previously of the charity collectors that run rampage on my City shopping High Street. Dodging the buggers is a fine art I have perfected that involves walking more miles than needed by constantly weaving in complex patterns around them. Yes, I realise the companies think having good looking young men and fresh faced pretty girls smiling at you like they really like you will work and I'm guilty of having a quick ogle, but it wont make me part with my bank details.

It's fairly obvious that I'm not going to give my limited spare cash to just anyone. Which brings me to a point I've been pondering for a while.

Why do normal Americans give money to political candidates campaigns? I don't get it.

I applaud Ryan and Michelle's efforts in canvessing. I appreciate they give up their spare time to support something they believe in. Stick a placard in your front yard or a poster in your window. Go to a rally and throw your panties at Obama. But money?

Of course, the all singing, all dancing campaigns are not something we are used to over the pond. So, we get the stories of how extravagant these campaigns are. We've had stories of Clinton babes spending $7000 on doughnuts, another of a party that bought up every shovel in a snow bound state so only their voters could get to the polling station. We watch the banners and streamers and all marching bands in wonderment really.

And laugh at you.

So, if any American wants to explain to me why you give them dosh to pay for some college intern's doughnut please do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG - you have a new blog up and no one has commented. Damn Yankees! What good are they.

All I can say about donations is - they are a tax write off for the rich. And since the rich don't like to have ten thousand babies like white trash, that's about their only option.

And really - they are throwing panties at Obama? Where is that on YouTube?

Lisa said...

Thats because they all comment on my Myspace blog instead

Anonymous said...

I wish I could get myspace again at work.....then again....I would probably never get any work done.

Unknown said...

Online cash loans are becoming the new wave of the future and people are applying if only to establish themselves with these services in case of an emergency. So if you find yourself short of cash
Click Here

Blogger said...

If you're looking to burn fat then you have to try this totally brand new custom keto meal plan.

To produce this service, certified nutritionists, fitness trainers, and professional chefs have united to provide keto meal plans that are useful, suitable, economically-efficient, and enjoyable.

Since their first launch in early 2019, thousands of people have already completely transformed their body and health with the benefits a professional keto meal plan can provide.

Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-proven ones offered by the keto meal plan.