Wednesday, December 05, 2007

PS I Iove You - or Maybe Not

Why oh why do they have to change things?

I got excited when I heard one of my favourite books was being made into a film.

P.S I Love You by Cecelia Ahearne. Ok, it's not Shakespeare but it's well written, gut wrenching, beautiful and thought provoking. And it makes me cry.
Every single time I read it I cry.

So, I read the synopsis - huh? They've changed things. Alright, I know they change things but they've really changed things. And then Ev sent me a trailer. It's hardly recognisable apart from the fact her husband dies and the letters.

I always dislike the Harry Potter films at first. I warm to them later but on first viewing I compare to the book. But at least with HP theres an excuse. They have to cut it or there would be a 5 hour movie (even though I could live with that). There's simply no excuse to change Ahearne's version - none. It's based in Ireland where the author lives. Not in the film. He's Irish. She's American and they live in America. And that's just one change. From the trailer it looks like the way the letters are delivered is different and even the bloody content of them has changed.

grrrr - bloody American writers - stay on bloody strike and take the time out to learn how to adapt a book properly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're capitalists, and as such, we do everything with money in mind. We will only be satisfied when she's reading love letters printed on Staples stationery, while enjoying a Coke Zero and wiping her tears with new Extra Soft Kleenex.

Laura said...

Diesprout's comment is too funny...and true! Haven't read the book. Was joking with my mom about the movie this weekend. She asked if Hubby and I wanted to see any movies when we go home for Christmas, and I told her Hubby was dying to see this one. Yeah, right. He'd been playing Halo all weekend - the violent video game involving killing aliens, whereas I was on the couch swooning over Colin Firth watching my DVD of Pride and Prejudice.