Friday, March 28, 2008

Posh Leather Prince Charming

Media frenzy is at a pitch as the Beckhams return to Britain from LA for gorgeous hunky Mr Beck’s 100th England cap. Mrs Beck was photographed in London shopping in her tiny sized, very tight, leather pants.




Now, on first viewing of these photos I had 2 thoughts

1. Is that hand in front of her foof hiding camel toe??

and

2. When will she stop copying my hair style?

And then I realised - it’s not just my hairstyle shes stealing, and she’s way, way behind me in the leather trouser fashion stakes...

It was 1981, I was 11.

Ant mania had swept the land and I was not immune to their charm. I was Ant crazy. Adam Ant was my first celebrity crush. I had the albums or as Bethan calls them those big black CDs, I had the wall covered in posters. I had the patch sewn onto my jeans (remember them...) and I had THE OUTFIT.

Yes, the outfit.

Black leather(ette) trousers and white blouse with frills to die for. Gaudy long gold(ish) chains. Black boots.

Black eyeliner and a thick white stripe across my nose.

I thought I was the shit.

So, when told I had to go shopping with my mother and my sister I took off my huge can headphones, stopped listening to my Prince Charming and dawdled downstairs. In the outfit.

Older sister stared and opened her mouth. Mother shussed her, sighed heavily and exclaimed they really didn’t have time....

I didn’t really notice they walked 50 yards behind me all day. I just saw the wide beams of fellow shoppers and smiled smugly to myself thinking I must have looked so cool......


and for those who need a nostalgic look back at the 80s gods that were Adam and the Ants, here’s a little taste




Ant mania didn’t last much longer for me and soon I turned my loyalties to Duran Duran. But I still look back at those highly embarrassing times.

Oh and speaking of embarrassing moments - check out The Lounge over the weekend and try to guess which friends you can recognise....

4 comments:

LuzLunaEv said...

Adam Ant was pirate when pirate wasn't cool.

Stand and Deliver!

GnuBill said...

At the beginning I thought this was going to be a blog about camel toe. I am soooooo disappointed!

Anonymous said...

Dude...i so needed that clip- i was Ant-crazy too and did the full on makeup but lacked in the leather pants... so glad i hopped over to your blog from the Lounge...God was Adam beautiful or what?

Leather Pants said...

nice post love reading it.