Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Things that make me go ewwww

Oh Dear God..

Children like nothing better than to dress up in their parents’ clothes. Now you can put those old clothes that no longer fit you to good use by creating a whole new wardrobe for your child, and save yourself lots of money at the same time!



Use the ideas and instructions in this revolutionary book to create girl’s dresses from men’s shirts, jumpers from slacks, cardigans from sweatshirts, dresses from skirts and knit shirts, jackets, skirts and hats from sweaters, hooded vests and backpacks from sweatshirts, and much, much more. Plus, once you get the hang of renovating your old clothes into new outfits, you’ll be able to create a multitude of styles and designs from your own ideas!



It's not often words fail me but what the hell? Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is truly not fit to procreate - the book should be retitled:


"Ways to ruin your Child's life Forever" - 50 ways to ensure your child is ridiculed and friendless for the whole of their childhood. Oh, and gets food thrown at them

And another thing - slacks - Ive bolded the word slacks

I hate slacks. I hate the word slacks, I really do. It makes me cringe almost as much as the words peel-off face mask. I know, I have issues....

Now I have a feeling Americans use the word slacks for any casual trousers. But to me, it brings up memories of trousers worn when I was growing up. They were in the foulest of polyester type material, elasticated waists and an array of garish colours. And pleats, oh god the pleats..

For pity sakes, these are for men! The blurb is enchanting though..

Though sometimes associated with a certain Florida look - we're talking more 'West Palm Beach Resort', as opposed to 'South Beach Versace' - one can not nevertheless deny that Sansabelt slacks are in a league all their own when it comes to comfortable men's wear, second probably only to the Scottish kilt. And as for style, well after all, you don't want a belt marring the sleek silhouette of a slinky nylon Nik-Nik and slacks, do you? In plum poly gabardine, these Sansabelt slacks have that smooth, flattering style, with horizontal front and welted rear pockets and a tabbed waistband.

Plum, Plum? They're fucking pink!! and, uh, slinky nylon nik-nik - are they talking about not marring the slinky silhouette of cock? Or is that just me?

My mum still wears them. In the house I may add - lounge wear. Hearing my mum telling me she's bought a lovely pair of slacks make me shudder

It's on my list. The list I have that tells my children when to kill me. Nestled in with sensible shoes and plastic rain hats, it's there.

What do you mean you don't have such a list? Surely you have the list.

14 comments:

HK said...

Hmmm... perhaps it's a good thing that when you saw me after work a few times in LA, I was wearing my jeans and not my usual navy-blue slacks when I'm feeling a bit "less casual" at work ;-)

Oh and I used to love raiding my Dad's (not my Mom's-- I outgrew her when I was 12) closet for clothes-- still do, as a matter of fact. Nothing was sacred, except for his underwear. You name it, I stole it-- polo shirts, long-sleeve collared shirts, t-shirts, shorts, sweats, sweaters, socks. Oh, and jackets... just like the one I'm wearing now ;-)

Lisa said...

Acquiring your dad's clothes is different, I did that

But making your kids clothes from your cast offs?

HK said...

True, true-- raiding his wardrobe was entirely my choice, not like they were foisted on me.

Far worse than hand-me-downs from siblings. At least those clothes were originally designed to be for kids!

Px said...

i dont have a list, but then i don't have kids either
and if i did write a list (and have kids), they'd probably kill me for writing it...

Unknown said...

I refer to slacks when I speak of any pants more formal than jeans. However, I would probably not use the term slack sfor pink polyester pants like those in the photo. I would call them old man pants. And West Palm Beach Retirement Center is probably a good descriptive term as well.

A. said...

There is a store in this small beach-front retirement community which is dedicated to the slack-suit. Their window has four examples in a variety of pastel shades, including mauve, lavender, robin's egg blue, and a nice creamy buttercup yellow. This is where the TPC championships (of golf) are held every year, so polyester slacks are HUGE. Then again, they have lots of money, so you often smell rich old lady perfume from a mile away and then the shh-shhh sound of their thighs scraping across each other in their over-priced old people ensembles.

The uniform of the males in this town remain the same, Italian oiled leather loafers, no socks, bare legs, dress shorts (the ones with pleats and belt loops), and either a polo shirt with the collar popped, or an oxford cloth shirt. From 17-85 this is the fashion, apparently. Absolutely awful.

Lisa said...

ooh, robin's egg blue - lovely

Its not just the vile polyester ensembles, its the word - slacks, it's just horrible..

A. said...

I can understand that. It's a horrible word. I personally have a problem with the word "panties." I don't like it. I manage to overcompensate and sound very proper and Victorian and say "undergarments" in order to avoid the word.

Lisa said...

Hearing you guys say panties makes me laugh, I also have trouble saying it

Over here, panties are pants, knickers or briefs

I still have to read twice when I read americans talk about pants as I sometimes forget to substitute trousers in its place

A. said...

I am not mature enough to say briefs or y-fronts without giggling (even if it's only in my head). But panties make me want to die. It's a hideous, cringe-inducing word. Sometimes I force myself through it, much like trying bussel sprouts for the umpteenth time to simply verify, that yes, they are still horrible. Oh, and I hate the word "thongs" too. It was fine when they were simply a type of footwear, but now I have to imagine the types of people I've seen wear them--that shouldn't whenever I hear the word. Maybe it's because it rhymes with wrong.

Lisa said...

Now I have that thong song in my head - thanks...

A. said...

God, Sisqo. Ugh. What a waste of space.

Laura said...

I, too, loathe the word slacks. It brings to mind the sound one might make if wearing a shiny polyester pant and one's fat thighs were swishing together with every step as one strolled through the retirement center: Slack slack slack, swish swish, slack slack.

Ew, I've just made myself sick, imagining the look of the horrific pants causing this noise.

Natalia said...

ROTFL. The things people come up with amaze me so. No wonder we are all walking around a bit screwed up.

-N