Thursday, April 26, 2007

All in the Mind

"Some people don't like strawberries"
"yeah well, they're stupid"

Our senses can evoke memories we thought we had forgotten or repressed. A smell, a song, a picture can bring me visions of things that make me smile or make me sad.

The faintest whiff of Lily of the Valley reminds me of my nan, childhood memories of a safe place, a warm place, a sanctuary.
The sound or sight of ball on willow takes me to my childhood summers, weekends of far flung places and my dad the hero taking wicket after wicket in village cricket.
80s songs and I'm at my teenage stage - boys and secrets and friends

Summer's approaching and everywhere it seems, strawberries are determined I will see them and remember

Strawberries and cream

and I remember

2 comments:

Natalia said...

I wonder what memories strawberries are bringing back for you.

I am very smell-oriented. One whiff of a particular smell and I am transported to a place and time.

It's freaky.

-N

Laura said...

I forgot your birthday, Lisa! I'm a bad blog friend! Sorry! Hope it was happy!

Those strawberries look quite tasty.