Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cheese Disappointment

I went to "lunch" at quarter to 5 today. I was bloody starving but a spate of unforeseen little emergencies prevented me getting away. Patients can be so inconsiderate at times.

I meandered my way down to the hospital restaraunt, making a quick detour via the lovely scenic secret staff hideaway puffing area. Situated under a stairwell at the back of the hospital, we call it the patio.

I entered the restaraunt and the smell of curry overpowered my nostrils. No, not curry today I thought, I need quick, stodgy, comfort food

And there it was






Sausage and mash and onion gravy - yummy.
The fat sausages nestled in the fluffy peaks of white mash. I drowned it in gravy and made my way to the till. The queue was long and my mouth was salvating at the thought of the pleasure to come

I made my way back to the comfort and solitude of the staff room and sank into the uncomfy waiting room like chair hoisting my feet up onto the neighbouring chair

I opened my culinary delight, sank my fork into the mash and took a bite

What the hell..

Cheese

Fucking cheese

A hard crusty film of cheese topped my lovely mash - there was no mention of cheese on the menu. Not sausage and cheesy mash, not sausage and mash and oh, we've dumped the leftover plastic cheese on it. Oh no. Not a cheesy word in sight

I mostly hate cheese

This was crap cheese - plastic, stringy and hard, thick and strong

I began scraping the cheese off the mash, trying to salvage at least a little of my spudtastic mash, much to the amusement of the entering anaesthetist

"Cheese" said I, holding my fork up to show the disgusting thick glob of yellowness stuck to it.

Oh well, the sausages were fat, meaty and tasty and the onion gravy was a delight

Just a pity about the sodding cheese

7 comments:

Px said...

see...sausage and mash should come with mustard mash, not cheesy mash

Unknown said...

I have never mixed my sausages with my mashed potatoes. Sounds good. I'm a big fan of mashed potatoes with trukey gravey.

I would not want chees in my mashed potatoes either. Horseradish, sour cream, butter, and garlic yes . . . cheese no.

Natalia said...

I will pretend you didn't say you hate cheese.

Cause that's just a ridiculous statement.

But bangers and mash shouldn't be cheesy...that much is true.

-N

Lisa said...

Pete - I don't like mustard either.

Ryan - sausage and mash is a British yummy. And covered in gravy especially onion gravy - you have to try

Nat - I'm sorry, I'm kinda boring when it comes to cheese. I like certain cheeses but am not adventurous enough to try different ones

Px said...

you wouldn't have mustard mash either??? what's wrong with you?

Unknown said...

So Bangers and Mash is sausage links in mash potatoes with gravy? Or is that something else?

lisa said...

Ryan - Bangers and mash is just sausages and mashed potato - gravy is optional

My dad used to shape the potato in to a peak and place the sausages going up the sides - it was a Teepee