Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day Nerves

After much nerves, anticipation and dread on both our parts, Bethan's first day of High School is over. Technically it's Comprehensive School, but as our dialect sometimes like to switch to American, it's now known more as High School.

I waved her off at 730am to go for the bus. No longer a 5 minute walk around the corner, she has to get a bus. A big yellow bus, again a recent American copy.

Her sister doesn't start till tomorrow, today was just for the newbies, but she got up early to do her sister's hair "So she didn't go looking like a skank"....
Her sister also vetted her trousers, her school bag and shoes, making sure she looked cool enough to be her sister. I remember my sister doing the same when it came to my school uniform. Watching Jess rearranging Bethan's polo shirt and sweatshirt reminded me of Cheryl tying my school tie - backwards so the knot was huge with a small amount of fat tie poking out from under it. Of course when I arrived all the other newbies had neat little ties...


After a morning spent with her tutor, she started proper lessons. Welsh was easy says she, English was OK but RE (Religious Education) was rubbish - "because it was about religion and stuff"

She can't remember her teachers' names. She made friends but forgets their names too. It was in her words "A bit of a blur". She found the toilets. She ate lunch. She got on the right bus home. Most importantly, she wants to go back tomorrow

Tomorrow they both go. It seems weird to think of them both in Comp. My babies are growing up into young ladies and I feel I'm becoming surplus to requirements

This pic feels like yesterday


But now they are like this

And I feel old..

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My 12 year old started 7th grade last week. My 2nd and 4th grader sons start tomorrow. Very exciting!!!!

Lisa said...

As a treat I cooked pancakes after dinner, or crepes to you lot

They were yummy as was the Pear Cider that accompanied them. Accompanied mine anyway

A. said...

Your daughters are far cooler than I was at that age.

Lisa said...

They are way cooler than me when I was that age

In fact, Jess belongs to the popular girls posse - the kind I hated when I was in school. If we were over there, she'd be a cheerleader...