Friday, December 15, 2006

Christmas Cripple...

I have committed the ultimate Nursing sin. No, I haven't killed anyone, it's worse than that...

I'm off sick for Christmas

I returned to work on Tuesday night after 4 weeks off. Within 2 hours my nagging back pain once again became complete agony. I managed to drag myself through my 12 hour night shift.

I don't usually talk about work, but I'll give a general outline of my shift. I admitted a 27 year old lad with sepsis of unknown cause. He'd been born with congenital heart problems and had the weirdest heart plumbing I'd ever seen. Just as we were about to tube him, he said "Can I said Goodbye to my parents?". That just got to me. " No," says I, "I'll go and get them and you can say see you soon". I hope I'm right. I spent all night fiddling with his Vent settings cos he wasn't ventilating properly. He was fighting it, so I was upping his sedation to get the fine line just right. We put lines in him, filled him with fluid, started NorAd and upped and upped it to get his pressures up. All this while popping more and more pain meds to get me through. By the time I got home I could hardly walk - great..

So, I'm off again. More physio, more pain meds (I'm not even going to tell you where I have to insert them, work that one out yourself....), more time off work

So, I have a slightly guilt ridden Christmas off.

And the girls won't let me forget it for the rest of the year....

On a lighter note, I have been asked to post my stripping Santa again this year. As well as the stripping Santa I will bow to the pressure of a disgruntled male reader and also post a scantily clad sexy Santa's helper each day too.

So, next week, Monday to Friday - Tottie time

2 comments:

Px said...

oh no...back pain is a right pain in the proverbial (at least until you stick the pain meds in therh too)

hope you feel better soon

Natalia said...

Back pain can be so debilitating, especially if you are on your feet a lot. Sorry, luv...no one should have to deal with that. I hope you have a much better week.

-N