Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Confessions of a Bad Mother (from the archives)

Today I saw my first christmas tree in someones window. Not a shop window, they've been festive for a while but someones house....

So, I decided to pull this out of the Grab Archives. Lazy, yes. Do I care? No.

My life is usually filled with disorder and chaos. I forget things the girls have to do or go until the last minute and have been known to be up in the wee hours trying to make a costume for school that I knew I had to do for weeks but forgot about until a little voice asks me where their costume is for tomorrow. I admit I would forget to feed them sometimes if they didn't tell me they were hungry and god only knows how the hamster is still alive. Mother Earth I aint.


But in other things I am totally anal. In work, my charts have to be a certain way, my pumps have to be in order and if I only had the time to co ordinate them all so all their little flashy things flashed together I would. But thats not what this blog is about.

It's just this. The other thing I'm anal about is Christmas Decorations. Gone are the days when they can be done when the girls are in bed - they now want to help, and that just freaks me out. My decs have to be colour coordinated. The tree in the lounge is red and gold and the tree in the dining room is ivory and gold. Not too much to ask is it? No really, it's not is it? In fact it's not even the girls' fault - I blame school. Ever since they started nursery at 3, they have brought home hand-made things from school. Now, I'm not that cold hearted, they are sweet and I have kept everything my little angels have made me for every occasion, but do their decs really have to go on my tree? I used to carefully place them on the back of the trees so they couldn't be seen but that doesn't cut it anymore, Bethan proudly puts her gaudy coloured wool balls and her angels with dodgy wings right at the front and I cringe....does that make me a bad mother?

So I put off putting the tree until the very last minute. Usually till the girls nag me to death
And every day after that, I will walk past the tree and delicately shove one of their decs to the back, hoping they dont notice.....

I am a bad mother aren't I?

3 comments:

Merritt Fields said...

This sounds like me. I tell myself every year that I'll let them help me with the bright fun tree in the den, and I'll save my more formal tree in the dining room for myself (yes, I do have two, because I have too many ornaments and I can't leave any out.) But I always rearrange the ones the girls put on the tree after they go to bed.

Laura said...

I'm such a bad mother I don't bother putting up a real tree every year. I will get a tiny little one and just put a couple of ornaments on. We're always gone the two weeks my son gets off school, though, so I don't want to spend a lot of time on something I'll only see for a couple of weeks, then have to deal with in January when we come home. And I'm selective in what creative loveliness I keep. A lot of my son's projects I tuck away in a box in his room. I did make a mouse pad out of a watercolor he did last year in preschool -- that should hold me for school projects for a while. I really don't think I need the paper bag turkey that I'm sure was 90% completed by the teacher.

Lisa said...

Perhaps we need to start a new blog

"Bad Mothers Unite"